Today we meet the short-video app Bilibili, a social app that brands know they should get on. So, why are they reluctant – or maybe too intimidated – to explore such important platform? The user culture is strong here, more so than most other Chinese social media and video sharing platforms. It’s where all the subcultures go, the ACG nerds, the artists, the content creators that don’t want to make cliche 15-second dancing videos. Get your campaign right and your ROI will be super high, get it wrong and you will be scorned and mocked.
Then, should start from beginning. Bilibili ( 哔哩哔哩) is a Chinese video-sharing website based in Shanghai, founded by Xu Yi in 2009. The app core business is themed around live streaming, video hosting, and mobile gaming. It focuses on anime-related content and video game culture.
1. Why is Bilibili important? For its audience
- 90% of its users are under 25, who post, view, and comment on videos in real-time. The real-time feature is known as “bullet chatting” and it facilitates an active community by inducing viewers to participate through the chat and stay engaged. But traditional marketing methods do not work in Bilibili. Download a video maybe plotted somewhere is not successful. That’s why two of the main US-based fast food chain, Mc Donald’s and KFC, failed in the attempt to reach Chinese netizens on Bilibili. Any tips?
- Bilibili has an engaged and connected user community;
- Quality user-generated content;
- KOL are important;
- Users are young and dynamic China’s Gen Z.
2. Is Bilibili an E-commerce platform?
Bilibili is one of the most exciting places around on the internet for animation, gaming and GenZ mobile experiences, that’s why is a great choice for your brand. Marketers can make great inroads in hitting a focused target audience through specialized KOL on the Bilibili app. That’s why Bilibili has been collaborating with other big players in the E-commerce business to boost their development in this area.
To tap Gen-Z users with an appetite for anime subculture, Taobao and Bilibili, cooperate to launch initiatives to better connect users, merchandise and content creators on both platforms. On April 3, new Bilibili e-commerce mini-programs appeared on the platform, thus uploaders in the Bilibili platform can use the mini-program to sell goods. Is this the beginning of the journey?